Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests

To: Barry Merrill <barry@mxg.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests
From: Doug Smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 08:52:07 -0500
Barry Merrill wrote:
> I've considered operating EI/W5GN remotely, but:
>
> But is it LEGAL????
>
> For example, this statement in the CommReg (Irish FCC) rules, would seem
> to prevent me from operating EI/W5GN from Dallas, and I'm willing to wager
> that the same restrictions exist in all of the amateur rules, worldwide:
>
> "(n) the Licensee shall ensure that, save as may be required by law, access
> to,
> and use of, the Apparatus is restricted to the Licensee or persons operating
> under the direct supervision of the Licensee;"

I recall similar language being printed on U.S. licenses in the past -- but
it's not on my current license, issued in 2004.  Nor can I find it in the
current FCC regulations.

Of course, regulations obviously vary in other countries and one should never
assume that what's legal in the U.S. is legal in some other country!

Again remembering that Ireland is not the USA, the US-FCC never interpreted
that language as prohibiting remote operation -- it's been legal (and
widely used by VHF/UHF repeaters) for decades, and there have been no
objections to the more recent remote operation of "traditional" HF stations.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66