Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:40:19 -0400
I think this highlights the real problem that no one wants to mention:

> While I agree with the rule, it *does* kind of throw a monkey wrench
> into Field Day plans, doesn't it?

Every field day I can recall, other than one club back when I was a
teenager, breaks rules. For example, a radio club in a town just north of me
allowed operation to the extent of the club trustee's license without a
properly classed operator at the operating position. As a matter of fact, an
extra class was not even on site at times as techs and others operated in
general and extra class band segments. Everyone in the club seemed OK with
it.

IMO, the real worry is the control op might be nowhere around while the
underclassed operator goes outside his restrictions. This violation is very
common at field day, and an excellent example of turning a blind eye in the
name of "members having fun".