Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ Magazine Award Policy for Remote Base

To: Geoffrey Way <wayg@cape-vision.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ Magazine Award Policy for Remote Base
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 13:31:46 -0400
Hi Jeff,

" If the remote station is controlled by a local ham, AND a third party
agreement exists between the two countries or provides specifically for
remote operating from outside, then it *MIGHT* be acceptable, IF the rules
of the contest/award INCLUDE wording to that effect. As so many event
sponsors say, "the decision of the contest/awards committee will be final."

"Third Party" agreements have NOTHING to do with this discussion.  We are
assuming all the participants are licensed hams... in some country.
 Operation by a true non-licensed third party was not even considered (at
least in this discussion).

There are a couple of ways I know, based on current Licensing Authority
rules (not contest rules), to operate a transmitter in a a country outside
your home, which are within the current regulations.  Given time to catch
up, these rules might change.
1.  Your country has a reciprocal operating agreement with the country, and
the country allows remotely-controlled equipment (of course, any definition
of remote equipment is not going to have a definition of WHERE the
equipment is -- NOT YET).
2.  You have taken and passed a license examination in the country you are
remotely operating in.

I am not sure about CEPT....  because, with CEPT, the governing body does
not have to be made aware of your operation.  But, I assume until it is
written into the law, it's possible using CEPT.

Of course, you must operate within the regulations of the country where the
transmitter is located based on your license.   If a US Technician operated
a HF station remotely in J6, for example, that would be a no-no.

73, Gerry W1VE