Re: [CQ-Contest] Sunday afternoon boredom is the wet blanket on SS (was

To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sunday afternoon boredom is the wet blanket on SS (was Rules off the table ?)
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 08:01:01 -0800
On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 06:51:56PM -0500, Jeff Clarke wrote:

> don???t even bother to operate the full 24 hours. I wasn???t even
> born when the SS rules were first written so I don???t know what the
> rational was behind allowing only one QSO. Maybe one of you
> old-timers might know ?

I am not sure why it is only one contact regardless of band but over
the years I have come to appriciate this greatly in this contest.

It allows you to operate on the band that is best for you that
weekend.  We all have bands that work better for us at a given period
of time.  There are any number of reasons

Your antennas might work better on one band then another, or your
geographic location might be better than another or the propagation.

But whatever the reason you can usually find the best band for the
time of day and your location/antennas.  If SS were a multi band
contact contest like NAQP it would make the bands more crowded and
would force you to operate a lot on each band and not allow you to
concentrate on your stong bands.

I am always amazed by how different the band breakdowns can be in
the SS along stations with similar scores.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net