Re: [CQ-Contest] General Purpose logging program

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] General Purpose logging program
From: "XV4Y (Yan)" <xv4y@nature-mekong.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 07:24:55 +0700
Hi,

I am using both N1MM and DXKeeper (DXLabs). Both free and great.
My operating style is DX, running small pile-up and casual contesting.
Almost no digi-modes, no ragchewing.

- I use N1MM at the operating position. The computer there is an old netbook. I
like N1MM because the windows are small and do not clutter your screen. It is
contest/DXing oriented. Each evening or so I export a differential ADIF file to
import in my main log.
- On my main computer (iMac 20") I use DXKeeper (in a Virtual Box VM). DX
Keeper has a lot of statistics possibilities and interfaces perfectly with LotW
and ClubLog. Importing/Exporting is great from and to both softwares.

N1MM and DXKeeper are robust. They use databases engines (simple ones though)
and allow you to have several logs. Both have "companion" softwares, DX Labs
being the one including more features.
Both software need some time to learn how to use them. Simple usage is ok in
1h. Then you will have to dig in the menus, panes, setting windows...
Documentation is ok but could be better organized sometime.
My only complaint about N1MM is that when it loses connection with an USB
device (the TS-590s, my K3NG keyer...) it freezes and crashes. The problem is
on the hardware side (bad USB cable, software bug in K3NG winkeyer emulation)
but there should be a way to isolate the troubles.

For more statistics, I use Club Log which has a good interface and is very DX
oriented.

73,
Yan.
---