Re: [CQ-Contest] Will there be anyone to work in 20 years?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Will there be anyone to work in 20 years?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 13:56:37 -0700

Attracting youth to ham radio in general is not going to happen, and I can list several reasons why not. That being said, the ONLY aspect of ham radio with any general appeal to "youth" (i.e., anyone less than the current median age of hams) is likely to to be contesting. Everything else can be done better, cheaper, and easier via other means, but competition is competition as long as the barriers to entry are not great.

73,
Dave   AB7E