Re: [CQ-Contest] Basic SO2R ?

To: Dirk Hacker <dirk.hacker@yahoo.com>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Basic SO2R ?
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:00:11 -0800 (PST)

Yes

>- 2 CAT controlled Radios
>- dipole ants (rig #1)
>- multiband vertical (rig#2)
>- DX doubler (audio controller)
>- low power...under 200 watts

An audio controller isn't really needed, you could make a simple manual audio
switch.

If you restrict one radio to a single band (say 40m for a domestic contest) the
setup
will be even simpler. You can also easily add filtering for monoband antennas
(coax stub).

>How can I make sure I don't fry the Rx front end(s) ?

With horizontal/vertical polarization you probably won't have a problem at low
power
assuming your antennas aren't very close together.

>If I add soft rock SDR to monitor "band openings"...how make sure I don't fry
>soft rock rcvr as well ?

One simple way is to ground the input of the SDR with a reed relay tied to the
key/ptt line.
You won't see anything while transmitting but that is not a big loss.

Or feed the IF of one of the radios into the SDR...then it is automatically
protected.

>I believe dipole & vertical with
>no-coupling is ok.
>(Horizontal vs. vertical polarization)
>I don't believe band-pass filters are a must until power is 500 watts or more
>(?)

Usually, but depends on the antennas.

Tor
N4OGW