Re: [CQ-Contest] Basic SO2R ?

To: "'Dirk Hacker'" <dirk.hacker@yahoo.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Basic SO2R ?
From: "Bill Hider" <n3rr@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 19:57:17 -0500
Dick,

You don't state what rigs you will use.  The price of repair or replacement
of these rigs is important to the answer to one of your questions: "How can
I make sure I don't fry the Rx front end(s) ?"  Operative phrase: "...make
sure".."

Here is my answer: use a front-end limiter, such as the Array Solutions
Model AS-RXFEP @ $55 each (x2 for 2 rigs). This device will limit the power
into your rig to 0dBm which is 17dBm below "receiver damage" threshold per:
"Managing Interstation Interference, Revised Second Edition", page 8, by
W2VJN, George Cutsogeorge.  I personally use two AS-RXFEP devices in my SO2R
station, installed in the receiver chain of each of my IC-7800s.

The actual interference you'll receive in each rig is dependent on many
other factors.  As a new SO2R contester, I recommend you purchase ($20) and
study George's book, which I purchased from Array Solutions, though I don't
see it listed in their online catalog now (I just checked).

73!

Bill, N3RR