Re: [CQ-Contest] Rig Comparisons for Transmitter Noise

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rig Comparisons for Transmitter Noise
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:02:15 -0700
On Wed,9/10/2014 5:06 AM, Charles Morrison wrote:
Jim, I apologize but ask for clarity.  In your paper, the CW performance
data for the FT5000 is pre or post installation of this latest firmware from
Yaesu which was dated on the 4th of September?

Hi Charlie,

My report is an analysis of ARRL data from their testing and published reviews. The Yaesu firmware revision is in response to my release of an early version of my report. You can check the ARRL website for the date of that review.

Although I'd love to be surprised, I'm not optimistic about how much difference their new firmware will make, in light of the fact that this a company that took three product cycles to fix the much worse clicks in their FT1000-series products (the black curve in Fig 2). Note also that firmware can only change keying transients -- it cannot change phase noise, which is a significant part of their sideband trash close to the carrier. Reducing phase noise would require major redesign of the radio.

73, Jim K9YC