Re: [CQ-Contest] Posting Scores

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>, CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Posting Scores
From: Rick Dougherty <rick@nq4i.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 11:41:41 -0400
Hi Pete...very valid points...I have been an ardent supporter and user for
a number of years...over the years most comments
that I hear is 1. my operating strategy is mine and mine alone, and I would
be sharing it if I post
2. I don't know how to use it
3. I am against the technology
4. ad nauseum

It is my opinion that in case 1, we already know what bands any one is one
thanks to skimmer. So band changes and things relative
to where in the band one operates is relatively easy to determine. If you
know who your competition is, it is easy to keep watch. This past weekend,
there were 100-150 online users who posted their scores. A large number
from EU and UA (of course they sponsored the contest) What was also
apparent was there were 3 times (read 300 or more) visitors who used the
site to watch what was being posted. I wonder how many of those people who
state they refuse to post their score because it shows their technique, are
the same ones who are watching to see what the actual ones posting are
doing?

Case 2 is just a matter of trying, using and seeking assistance if needed.

Case 3, you better hang on buddy. Its leaving you at the station!

Case 4, I guess these are the people who feel bullied by my comments ( I
had to do it Dave) I'm not a bully nor do I intend to bully
but if I can raise the awareness and increase the use of the technology so
be it.

on a fun note, there is not much more entertainment when you and your
competitor are hot and heavy at it and you can watch the scoring chart on
the website and see the shape and directions of your scores and where the
merge, or converge or extend apart. It keeps some excitement going, and we
sure needed some excitement this past weekend because the conditions were
in the toilet!

I am more than willing to help anyone who feels intimidated by the site or
does not know how to use it. I have been a Win-Test user for a number of
years, and have used the UA site for a number of years. Please call me or
email if you need help.

To those who do post their scores, thanks you help make things a little
more exciting and enjoyable.

And to Pete thanks for letting me tail end on your comments.

de Rick