Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 09:10:46 -0800
On Wed,11/4/2015 8:02 AM, Drew Vonada-Smith wrote:
But...what is the point of a "rare section" if you don't have to be there to
operate?  Doesn't this in many ways, miss the point of a multiplier?

Not for those of us who work that station -- we've done the same things to make the contact that we would do whether the operator was freezing his cahoonies off in VY1 or sitting in Miami with an internet link.

And not for those who operate it -- remote operation requires at least as much skill as operation of your own station, because there is the matter of latency (the time it takes signals and control to get back and forth between the operator and the remote).

More to the point -- building a good remote station and making its operation reliable is NOT easy. The more complex the station, the more complex it is to build. If you doubt that, go through the design exercise. For most of us, me included, that will include a LOT or research.

No it's not bogus, nor is it cheating, nor have these guys lost their way. Jay, VY1JA, has been active for years, and is in my log a dozen or so times. There's a feature about the building of this station in the issue of NCJ that just arrived in my mail.

73, Jim K9YC