Re: [CQ-Contest] Category hopping, new angle

To: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Category hopping, new angle
From: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 14:54:01 -0300
Hi Mats,
I don't think so. PJ2 or any country in zone 9 is not as favored as zone
33/35. At least during this phase of the solar cycle.
It has been demonstrated that EF8M was able to run on 10 m like no one else
also during years of poor SFI.
There is a chance that US stations will not beam that much to EU on the
higher bands during low solar activity years, so stations from zone 9 will
have it easier to some extent, however, zone 33/35 will always win becuase
of the number of mults they have at hand.
All this talking about multi OP categories of course.
Single OP AB categories now, according to Jose's function, are a matter of
running two pileups as efficiently as possible to get a top place finish or
even a world record, and that can certainly be done from zone 9.
But again, for multi op, the zones to be are 33/35.

73,
Martín Lu5dx
El dic 10, 2015 14:28, "Mats Strandberg" <sm6lrr@gmail.com> escribió:

> [...]
> station in Zone 8 or 9.
>
> Remember Martin, I am myself from SM so pretty much familiar to challenges
> of the north (or the south) when it comes to trying to win.
>
> My reflection was just that CR3L as M2 logically should have no chance to
> win MM in case MM efforts would have been of similar class as most years.
> This year, MM was probably one of the easier categories to be in top...  No
> offence to those who participated, but scores were quite low compared to
> what normally can be expected from a station that theoretically can have 6
> RUN stations 48 hours.
>
> 73 de Mats RM2D

>> How can an M2 win over an MM. It is very simple actually. You only need
>> to take the geographic factor into account. An MS in zone 33 or 35 can
>> easily achieve a higher score than a full fledged MM in zone 13 for
>> example. That is why to me, because of the nature of amateur radio
>> contests, and also in most cases because of the rules of them, competition
>> at a world level is sort of a fantasy.
>> If you set up two stations that are exactly the same, you clone the crew
>> of operators, one station in JA, the other in D4, there will be no way for
>> the station in JA to win "the world".
>> If competition was done at a zone level it would be a little more like a
>> real competition and less like it has been so far.
>> I really believe if it was done that way, more and more people would feel
>> motivated to enter the contests and the ones who already enter would feel
>> more motivated to do it more seriously.
>>
>> 73,
>> Martín LU5DX
>> El dic 10, 2015 10:58, "Mats Strandberg" <sm6lrr@gmail.com> escribió:
>>
>>> (Sorry, sent away my message before finished)
>>>
>>> Yes, agree with Goran.
>>>
>>> The main issue is that MM competition this year was weak and in case we
>>> had
>>> a few really competitive MM efforts, no chance would have been for CR3L
>>> lead the claimed scores.
>>>
>>> The discussion is so much about "ethics" and "unsportsmanlike behaviour"
>>> where as the focus should be:
>>>
>>> Why on earth is it possible to win MM with a M2 or a M/S station?
>>>
>>> Not knowing fully the setup of PJ2T, and all the issues they might have
>>> had
>>> with power failures and antennas that were not delivered on site,
>>> normally,
>>> PJT2 could easily have won the MM category and could easily have had 10
>>> Million more points than any M/S or M2 station.
>>>
>>> So, instead of debating this into some absurd dead end, focus on having
>>> fun, on planning for a gigantic attack on the MM first position in 2016.
>>> You can, and you should not, win if your effort in any category is World
>>> Class. Obvisously PJ2T had issues and problems that prevented them from
>>> winning this year. Let's face it and realize that during the period
>>> 2016-2021 (at least), they will have far better chances than most other
>>> stations. The location PJ2 is better than most locations in the world.