Re: [CQ-Contest] RELAY SWITCHING

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RELAY SWITCHING
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:41:40 -0400
Trent I found that the Arduino 8X1 relay board is a magnificent solution to the problems I was having here. The problem I was having using the Ameritron RCS-12 Antenna Switch, which is driven by my Icom IC-7410 BCD output or switched in the shack manually, In my situation the Ameritron RCS 12 problem was not solved by the factory, A simple design change in the circuit cutting off the pass transistors would have worked. The pass transistors controlling the voltage to the DXE 8X1 box at the antenna were not sufficiently biased off thus allowing some voltage to get to the wrong relay. This cause the relay to misfire at times and the SWR protection circuit to shut down the amp. Here comes the Arduino board which solved everything. The Arduino 8X1 has 8 relays and is driven by a high of 5 volts obtained from the Aux socket on the RCS-12 for each band selection. The Arduino 8X1 even has status LEDS for each relay activated and was only $12.95 on eBay. It has now screw down headers and on all the relay switched terminals.

Eventually more of this development will find its way into amateur radio including graphic display for remote operation. But this Arduinos stuff is paving the way, BTW I also use them to control a Six Pac and filters for SO2R contest work here

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ