Re: [CQ-Contest] The new era of Hamradio contests; win a cash prize

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The new era of Hamradio contests; win a cash prize
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 19:22:50 -0500
I don't there is any doubt about where part 97 FCC stands.  You can't be
compensated for "operating" a radio.  Operating for no compensation but
having your result possibly resulting in a cash prize is not compensation
for your operating.

That being said, there have been examples of "winnings" in contests before.
The Bermuda contest use to fly the winner to Bermuda.  I don't believe that
contest was wildly popular in spite of that great prize.

Personally, I don't think a cash prize for the winner would have any impact.
The current winners of major contests are already very motivated without the
cash prize.  And the groups of 20 or so vying for that title in each of the
major categories (World, EU, USA, NA, SA, Asia) would not look to be even
more motivated if the winner won something like $1,000.  The rest of the
crowd is quickly going to realize that they can't win anyway, regardless of
their motivation, unless they make major investments in time and equipment
and possibly move to a different location.

So is there really some outcome?

I doubt it.

73

Ed  N1UR