Re: [CQ-Contest] Your DX Spots during the ARRL SSB DX Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Your DX Spots during the ARRL SSB DX Contest
From: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 10:53:00 -0500
Depending on the contest, the ability to run as a smaller station can be a challenge. I think the least likelihood chance for a garden variety station to run is in CQWW where you are simply one of a huge crowd in an everybody-works-everybody contest.

In focused events (WAE, IOTA, ARRL DX, and even WPX if your prefix is a "catch"), many stations can indeed run.

With skimmer, things are more or less equalized which is a bonus for low power stations owing to the effective ability to CW to cut through QRM.

Phone is a different story. Ay my QTH I have a fan dipole at about 75 feet that has a broad lobe northeast-southwest and a second fan dipole at about 55 feet where the lobe runs due north-south.

Even with the USA guys being the "catch", I was only moderately successful at running with one exception - I had a huge run on 15 meter SSB Sunday morning. The rate was decent until 9K2NO spotted me and my rate meter went from about 2 a minute to closer to 5 or 6 a minute. And that is from my QTH.

Obviously, if you are one of about four QRV hams from a given entity, you don't need to worry. You're going to draw a pile and a crazy one at that. I always enjoy seeing the mid/late afternoon Sunday pileups when an OX, a TF, a HP3, a 5H, or a CP shows up for the first time in a contest. Sheer craziness for 30+ minutes.

73 Rich NN3W