[CQ-Contest] Little Pistols Running: begs the question - do they want to

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Little Pistols Running: begs the question - do they want to?
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 12:04:00 +0000 (GMT)
Scott said:
I wanted to explore how we might enable and encourage more mainly S&P operators
to call CQ
so we can work each other.
[end snip]

A lot of guys simply ENJOY S+P and do NOT enjoy running.  I think this is
especially true of
the so-called "casual" guys you later refer to:

Scott said:
It could keep a lot of casual operators from getting bored and turning off
their radios
[end snip]

But casual guys DO want to turn off their radios; that's one definition of
casual.

As a QRP contester for the last several decades (except this contest season
where I ran LP
in a few contests), and one who is very serious, I can tell you that it is
difficult for me to run
out of guys to work when doing just S+P.  This is especially true in the high
SSN years (and
especially on 10m).

Further, it is not a lot of fun to call CQ over and over with no replies.  LP
or "little gun" guys
running HP will probably have a bit more luck than I did (QRP), but probably
not enough to
enjoy trying to RUN.  Serious guys (who might, for example, run LP) are going
to stay in there,
no matter what and they show up as successful because of their stamina to keep
CQing.  As
a QRPer, I'd much rather keep my rate up via S+P than call CQ to have 1 (or
less) callers per minute.

Thinking that the S+P-only crowd wants to a place to run is possibly misplaced
logic.  I would hope
that some S+P-only guys who read your thread would respond and let you (us)
know if they would
actually like to RUN.

I get what you are saying, "Let's work each other," but when the bands are
packed there is, as
you point out, "no room."  And when the bands are packed, there are plenty of
guys to work
using only S+P.  If the bands are not packed, then you DO have room to call CQ
(run).  But
if the bands are not packed, it is likely for a reason and that is probably
exactly when the
S+P guys who try to "run" are going to be disappointed - a lack of "action."
But maybe I'm
wrong.

I suppose some "casual" guys want to get on and do zero S+P, but they don't
meet your
criteria.  Most of them (that I know) are actually "big guns" who, for some
reason, can't be
serious, so they get on for X hours and RUN RUN RUN, because they can.  But I
don't think
those are the "casual" guys you mean to refer to.  They are defined as "casual"
because they
are not putting in a full effort (perhaps only a few hours).

I'd hate to leave the discussion with out a possible answer for you, so here is
a totally out
of the box attempt.  On SSB (on the "high" bands) go the "top" of the band,
change to LSB
and call CQ.  Of course, you'd have to get the word out to enough "casual, S+P
guys who
want to try to work each other" to get it to work.  Sorry, but for now, that's
my best shot
at an answer.

Good luck and I know I'll see YOU on the bands.

de Doug KR2Q