Re: [CQ-Contest] Q: Wireless Keyboard w/Full-size Function Keys Question

To: garyk9gs@wi.rr.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Q: Wireless Keyboard w/Full-size Function Keys Questions
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 11:40:03 +0700
I recommend use of "ten key less" short keyboard for ham desk.  The full
sized ones take up lots of space.
Actually, computer use is basically incompatible with old fashioned ham
radio operating.  The kybrd is in the way in middle of desk;  if in an
under table drawer, it takes the op too far from radio face.  Best place
for monitor is at eye level in middle just above transceiver, but that is
also the best place for antenna tuners, tune-able amps, and rotor controls.

Most bad is a laptop in the center of the desk with its upright screen
covering the radios!   And, do not get me started about the mouse and not
MOUSE RADIOS either..... just not ham radio!

Oh also, grumpy when I see a nice layout of gear on a table pressed against
the WALL.
Real hams walk behind their radios and desk often to make refinements.

Grump, grump, Charly

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi Gerry
>
> I like my K360 too.  They have a neat utility that monitors your battery
> voltage (I think both the keyboard and the wireless mouse) with an icon in
> the system tray.  I always check this before a contest.
>
> I have three of these.
>

> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1Y11D4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
>

> On 3/21/2016 2:54 PM, Gerry Hull wrote:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> What's wrong with the Logitech K270 or K360?  Both have full size function
>> keys, great tactile feedback, and are less than $30 at Office Depot or
>> Staples (I think Walmart even sells them.)
>> Same goes for the HP K2500 and HP K3500, in the same price class.
>>
>> For back lit, I've used the  Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800,
>> about $70 on Amazon.
>>
>> YMMV.  Just keep a spare battery around during a contest... nothing like
>> the battery going dead in the middle of a 260 hour!
>>
>> 73, Gerry W1VE
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Eric Rosenberg <
>> ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com
>>
>>> wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a wireless keyboard that not only has a good feel, but
>>> also
>>> FULL SIZE function keys.
>>>
>>> I have come across keyboards that have one or the other attribute, but
>>> not
>>> both.
>>>
>>> Full size function keys are important to me as I can put labels on them
>>> help me navigate during  (hopefully long) BIC sessions.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Eric W3DQ
>>

>> --