Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 09:54:28 -0400
Yuri's "confusion" on assistance vs "gadgets" is probably the reason why
almost all of the DQs on unclaimed assistance come out of Europe.  I think
that just changing the category name to unlimited vs limited and listing the
current criteria of the assisted vs unassisted categories might make a big
difference of clarity for people.

Most people want to do the right thing.  Lets be as clear as we can on what
the rules of the game by category are and be sure that unintended confusion
is avoided wherever possible.

There is ZERO ambiguity in the details of the rules banning skimmers in
one's own shack from being allowed in the "unassisted" category.  But is it
"assistance" as might be translated into other languages?  Not always.  Lets
just make it easy for people to follow the rules.

Peak power is another game in EU that I have observed.  It can take 2.5kW of
output power in SSB for some lagging meters to register 1.5kW on peaks.
Crank it up until the old meter touches 1.5kW is not uncommon - but WAY more
power than allowed.

Ed  N1UR