Re: [CQ-Contest] sending DX QSLs from US other than via ARRL service

To: fritz@k4oaq.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] sending DX QSLs from US other than via ARRL service
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 12:11:32 -0500 (CDT)
 Hi Fritz,

A few brief comments if I may...

I too lament the loss of the printed contest results from QST.  While I
understand the reasons why at the time, I thought then and think now that it
was a mistake.  That we can now download the results from the ARRL website
(which is a very nice thing!) is not the point.

So without delving too deep into the mechanics of it, I believe the bottom line
to returning the results to QST would be to get some commercial sponsors -- ie,
advertisers -- to be willing cover the additional costs of the extra pages in
the printed magazine.  Without knowing what the costs are, or what kind of
commitment the sponsor(s) of such an addition would have to make (both in terms
of time and money), it's difficult to discuss the specifics... and I know
enough to know I don't know enough about the publishing business today.

As I said, though, at least the results are available.  I would be happier if
the online/electronic version of QST would include the results, though, even if
it is as a "digital" extra.

When it comes to the contests itself, well, don't worry about your ultimate
standing.  As the owner of a modest station, I simply try to do better than I
did the year before; if I can do that, I'm happy.  I can dream about the tower,
the beam, the linear... maybe one day, but not today, so I simply do the best I
can with what I have.

Consider inviting a friend or two over to share the operating.  Helps keep the
station in the contest longer, and all in all it can be a fun time.  Just a
thought.

Finally, like many on this reflector and others, I've been an ARRL member for a
long time.  Longer than I want to think about, that's for certain.  That does
not mean I agree with or condone every decision out of HQ... it does mean that
I have a right to kvetch at my Division Director (since they are members of the
ARRL Board of Directors, who are SUPPOSED to be the people setting policies and
running the show).  If more people complained to their Directors about poor
decisions...

And yes, I'm aware that over the years, various Directors have gotten their
jobs for the wrong reasons -- to inflate egos, or to win a popularity contest,
things like that -- not to be a responsible Director.  I don't condone those
turkeys either (no disrespect to the fowl birds).  But the solution to THAT is
pretty lengthy, and would be going WAY off topic, so this is not the proper
forum for it.

But you can't fix the problems, or get them fixed, from outside the system.  I
do what little I can.  If enough of us did... well, maybe we would get those
contest results back in QST...

73, ron w3wn