Re: [CQ-Contest] Web Reporting of Contest Results (WAS: sending DX QSLs

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Web Reporting of Contest Results (WAS: sending DX QSLs from US other than via ARRL service)
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 13:15:38 -0400
Results were moved to the Web.  I'd say that the results and analyses for
the major contests today, including the ARRL's, are far better for having
unlocked the opportunities presented by the Web. Much more comprehensive
"full results article", line scores, searchable database, complete history
since initiated in 2002.  Offers far more capability than possible in
print, and available worldwide immediately when published.  I don't know if
behind an ARRL membership wall, but if not, check out, for example, results
for the 2015 ARRL DX CW:

*2015 INTERNATIONAL DX CW CONTEST*

*QST Article
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ContestResults/2015/ARRL-2015-DXCW-QST-v2.pdf>
(4
pages)*

*http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ContestResults/2015/ARRL-2015-DXCW-QST-v2.pdf
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ContestResults/2015/ARRL-2015-DXCW-QST-v2.pdf>*

*Full Results
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ContestResults/2015/2015%20ARRL%20DX%20CW%20-%20Full%20Results%20-%20Version%201_0.pdf>
(18
pages of analysis and commentary)*

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ContestResults/2015/2015%20ARRL%20DX%20CW%20-%20Full%20Results%20-%20Version%201_0.pdf

*Line Scores
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Contest%20Line%20Scores/2015/2015-ARRL-DX-CW-PLS-23Jul2015-Version2_0.pdf>*

*http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Contest%20Line%20Scores/2015/2015-ARRL-DX-CW-PLS-23Jul2015-Version2_0.pdf
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Contest%20Line%20Scores/2015/2015-ARRL-DX-CW-PLS-23Jul2015-Version2_0.pdf>*

*Log Checking Reports
<http://www.arrl.org/contest-log-checking-reports> (Your LCRs only,
aggregated for all ARRL contests since 2002)*

*http://www.arrl.org/contest-log-checking-reports
<http://www.arrl.org/contest-log-checking-reports>*

*Searchable Database
<http://www.arrl.org/results-database?event_id=66004> (check and/or compare
all entries since 2002)*

*http://www.arrl.org/results-database?event_id=66004
<http://www.arrl.org/results-database?event_id=66004>*

WWROF has done the same for the CQ contests, even though CQ currently IS
publishing full line scores in their print & electronic magazine. The
information on the web still is more comprehensive, with historical results
for the CQWW contests going back to the first results in 1948 (when the
winning SOAB HP score was 124,068!).

The availability of the results in digital data format also has spawned
independent software with which one can find all sorts of interesting
things.  For example, check out EI6DX contest analyzer for CQWW contests
2010-2014. It has all the CQWW logs pre-loaded.

http://www.ei6dx.com/cqww-contest-analysis/cqww-activity-analyzer/

It would be fine to print whatever in QST, but IMHO Web capabilities have
been well implemented by ARRL, as they have been by WWROF for CQ contests.
One can view very detailed results, configure the results for specific
interests, and import the data for new historical and analytical purposes.

73, Dave K3ZJ