Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Log Submission Webpage Tips?

To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Log Submission Webpage Tips?
From: Dave Edmonds <dave@pkministrywebs.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 16:26:01 -0400
Hi Jeff,

I'm responsible for the scoring process for the SCQP. We use a 3rd party
online scoring software that will crunch all the logs and provide you with
online scoring data. Our software was created by David Westbrook, KJ4IZW
and it's worked very well for our contest. We scored 246 logs for our 2016
SCQP.

This software offers an online log upload system and will accept cabrillo
or ADIF logs. Immediately after the log is uploaded, a summary will appear
with includes all of the cabrillo information along with calculated score
and their log including all contacts. The sw allows download of all data in
Excel format. Lots more benefits...

If you are using an online based software system like were using, the big
question is...

*Do you want the players to upload their logs directly into the system or
do you want to upload all the logs after receiving them via email or a
website form?*

*I've done it both ways...*

In 2015, I entered all the logs into the scoring sw. In 2016, the players
did it directly into the online system. So here's what I learned.

Most important... Make sure that you include a cabrillo template on the
website so that the player is aware of the required log format.

*OPTION 1 Contest Manager Enters Logs (used in 2015)*
If you will be entering the logs into the scoring software, then you will
need to request the logs via email or via a website form. I used an online
form which was their contest summary sheet.

Since we had totally changed our scoring system and not all of the logging
programs had caught up to us yet, this summary sheet actually calculated
the score, but there was a lot of data input by the player. We had to do it
this way with the new scoring.

Then the player would upload their log when he submits his summary sheet.
Now I have his log and summary sheet in the database and in Excel format.
The form system generates an immediate reply confirming receipt of the log
and summary sheet. The system includes a copy of summary sheet results in
the reply email.

I would then download the logs from the form database and upload them
individually into the scoring software to see score and summary information
of each player. If you want you can review the logs before uploading for
formatting issues. If a log is formatted incorrectly, then the score will
not be accurate. If you spot a poorly formatted log, then you can contact
the player and ask him to reformat it and resend it.

After uploading correctly formatted logs, you can view the results and
download in Excel format and then review logs manually if you wish.

My results:

Positives:
1. We had two databases which included summary information and logs. If one
was deleted or if their was a problem with the scoring system, we had a
back-up database.

2. Players who didn't have correctly formatted logs had a opportunity to
fix them and resend. The Contest Manager could inform them of what they
need to fix in order to resubmit a corrected log. If the player uploaded
their log to the system, they would see their immediate results based upon
their log, whether correctly formatted or not.

3. No missing logs... All players received immediate confirmation of log
submission.

Negatives:
1. There were some who complained about the length of the summary form. It
was necessary due to our major scoring changes. It actually provided the
player with a correct claimed score. If we did this process again, I would
have a very short form with a few basic contact and category details and
that's all.

2. The Contest Manager had to upload individual logs to scoring software
entry page. It was very time consuming.

*OPTION 2Players uploads logs into Online Scoring Database "direct entry"
(used in 2016)*We used this approach in 2016. We provided a link on the
website where players could submit their log.

Here's the process:
The player clicks on the link to a short online form which gathers 4-5 bits
of information including category, contact info etc. a very short form.
When they hit 'submit' they are redirected to a page which includes a log
upload link directly into the scoring system. Upon uploaded the log, the
player will see his preliminary score based upon his log. He will see all
information about his entry. If the player submits a poorly formatted log,
then he will see error messages and a score different from what he was
probably expecting. The player would receive a confirmation email and will
see his results. The player can resubmit their log after correcting the log.

The contest manager will receive notice of submission and he can review the
latest results. He can review entries and spot log problems. It's the
contest manager's call to assist the player with an log error...

My results:

Positives:
1. I didn't have to upload logs into the system.. Saved a lot of time.

2. Contest Manager can immediately identify log errors and take action.
Saves time reviewing logs for formatting etc.

3. Players who submitted perfectly formatted logs were able to see their
perfectly correct preliminary score. Many mentioned that it was cool to see
their preliminary score along with all the data in the calculation.

Negative:
1. Players who submitted poorly formatted logs immediately saw a score that
was possibly much lower than their claimed score. This could be very
frustrating to those who used sw which wasn't updated to our contest etc.

These are two log submission approaches that I've used. Both systems worked
and results were accurate.  We will be using the "direct entry" method
again for 2017.

NOTE: Please use an automated log submission confirmation system. This
insures that you don't miss any logs. Also, logs were also analyzed by
human eyes following the system scoring.

I hope this info is helpful to your new adventure. Let me know if you have
any questions.

73s Dave WN4AFP
SCQP Team Leader
www.scqso.com

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I'm going to be taking over running a smaller contest soon and need some
> tips on how to incorporate log submissions on our webpage. I'm also
> wondering about how people are checking logs. I'm assuming maybe everyone
> is writing their own software?
>
> I'm an IT person and have some knowledge about webpages , JAVA  and C#.
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Please reply off the list.
>
> Thanks, Jeff KU8E
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Droid

Dave Edmonds
PK Ministry Webs
864.288.6678
dave@pkministrywebs.com