Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Filter

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Filter
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 08:16:07 +0700
Joe, I have an IC-718 and experience with eleven other transceivers.  I
have found the 1.8 filter for help in SSB of only some help;  often the
offset control will do very well.
A 500 filter for CW is a big help, but a real help only to CW operators who
can not tune mentally.  Some CW ops can tune mentally and like a wider
passband and do the filtering in his head.
So, if you have such a CW op, keep the 1.8 filter.  Otherwise, get the 500
and let the SSB ops cope.
Good luck, Charly

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:12 AM, Joe <nss@mwt.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Looking for thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.
>
> Club has for Field Day a IC-718, That already has the 1.8 Khz SSB Narrow
> filter in it. It needed it badly. Especially during Field Day.
>
> Sadly it only has the one extra filter slot, so a narrow CW filter is not
> an option unless we toss out the 1.8 Khz SSB one. And Me more or less being
> the ONLY CW op,  well.....
>
> So I am looking for help with external filtering.
>
> Either software with a computer,  or via a stand alone external unit.
>
> What's out there? and what works well?
>
> I remember with my Drake TR-4 as a beginner in the 70's getting one of
> those terrible MFJ CW filters. Where the wide setting was like what 180 Hz?
> And down to like 50 Hz, as a beginner I thought WOW! awesome!
>
> Got it and the ringing was sooo bad, that this thing was like almost not
> use-able. I chocked the advertisement into the class of another purchase I
> made without knowing any better the awesome Gotham V160 Vertical! A chunk
> of AL tubing that the shipping cost more than the "Vertical" And the
> Vertical was just  AL Tube and a Big B&W Coil. so it would work on the
> lower bands, he he he.
>
> Anyway what's good out there now as far as CW filtering goes?
>
> Joe WB9SBD
> --
> Sig
> The Original Rolling Ball Clock