Re: [CQ-Contest] NCJ Article RE: Sweepstakes Change Suggestions

To: <rjairam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NCJ Article RE: Sweepstakes Change Suggestions
From: "Stephen Bloom" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 19:57:12 -0800
Ria:

True you can't decode by ear, but unlike the WSJT/WSJT-X modes, you are (or
at least I am) still using my ears to pick out what to work when I'm S&P,
and even sometimes when running if I have a pileup.  The other thing is
...don't confuse computer to computer with "operator skill doesn't matter."
I'm pretty new to RTTY contesting, and extremely new (as in a few months) of
taking it at all seriously, and it is just as much of a challenge as CW, in
terms of going from "decent" to "competitive."  Lots of things to learn, in
terms of multiple decoding, what decodes best with certain propagation
patterns, the rhythm of "stacking" (I'm still struggling with this one) etc.
W0YK gives a talk each year at Contest U about some of this.  I know I'm
planning on having the KL7RA team do some multi ops for the big RTTY
contests next season.  I also expect to see the use of other digital modes
grow in the contest space, but at least for HF, it's not going to be FT-8.

73
Steve KL7SB