[CQ-Contest] 4O3A

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 4O3A
From: "Holger@9h3m.com" <holger@9h3m.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 22:18:07 -0700
Hi Branco
I can only echo Bob and Rich.
At ZM4T we are 320 m asl with steep (~45 degrees) down sloping terrain down to
80 m asl, followed by some hilly area up to 120 m again before it ends in the
Ocean.

The location is classified as Extreme High Wind Zone. Everything has to be
designed for 200 km/h+ wind. We have >100 km/h every month, often every week.
So we also had a painful learning of what survives and what doesn't.
Due to the terrain we spent endless nights with HFTA and focussed entirely on
optimising antenna heights for dedicated directions.

We don't have big towers available to manage vertically optimised stacks so
focus was on using up to 20 m hight (free standing towers) and single yagis at
dedicated heights per main direction.
TOA's need to be below 10-15 degrees here as we barely have any higher angles
contributing. Optimum height for a 10m beam towards US here is 6-7 m above
ground. We get max gain at 1 degree. For 15m it is 9-10m height etc. When
installed higher performance degrades at lower TOA's but gets often better at
some higher TOA's (depending on terrain). Today we have identical tribander on
one tower at 9m and 18m. On 10 & 15 m the lower beam always wins.

In steep sloping terrain antennas can be too high!

On the other hand I found from simulations that you need much less vertical
stacking distance in steep sloping vs. flat terrain. But so far I could not
confirm this by own experiments/installations.

73 Holger, ZL3IO/ZM4T