Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 QRN

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 QRN
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 02:23:25 -0800
On 12/1/2018 6:07 PM, K9MA wrote:
If any of you are wondering why we in the central US seem particularly deaf this weekend, it's because of the terrific QRN from a huge storm system.

And also because everyone is listening on their RX antennas directed to EU. As soon as the EU path closed, a whole new group of east coast stations started calling be who couldn't me a half hour earlier.

It's a big part of why I consider ARRL 160 and CW 160 a bad joke from W6. Condx were especially lousy this weekend -- in a one nite effort, I missed GA and FL except NFL, running legal limit to full size verticals with decent radial systems, full wavelength beverages, and even a few dB TX directivity to the east, west, and south. I never heard EU. It's not only that they didn't hear me -- I didn't hear them! Best DX was OA, PP, and JA.

73, Jim K9YC