Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a FTn Contest QSO Complete?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a FTn Contest QSO Complete?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 13:32:11 -0700
On 9/1/2019 12:25 PM, Randy Thompson K5ZD wrote:
One thing this weekend confirmed is that the FT modes are not about rate.  They
are about perfect copy in some very weak conditions.  Was quite surprised what
I could work on 80 and 160 in late summer.

That's really their intended purpose, Randy. I've been using WSJT-X extensively on 6M to work E-skip with FT8 and meteor scatter with MSK144. I've used FT8 extensively on 160M to work EU from NorCal, and I've been wishing that JT9, which offers at least 4 dB greater noise immunity would take hold on 160. The mode dominates 630m and 2200m, and K1JT posted to the WSJT reflector a few days ago that he and Steven Franke are working on a "super JT9" that they hope will add a few more dB. I'd love to see FT8 vanish from 160, to be replaced by JT9. I picked up ten new EU countries last season using FT8; before that, I hadn't even HEARD EU on 160 for four seasons! This past season, I heard four EU stations (all during CQWW 160); only one heard me.

73, Jim K9YC