Re: [CQ-Contest] The legacy of not working dupes

To: WW3S <ww3s@zoominternet.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The legacy of not working dupes
From: Jim Rhodes <jimk0xu@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 19:03:15 -0600
Decades ago I was in charge of converting the club to computer logging for
Field Day. Had a guy operating in the wee small hours who refused to touch
the computer. Said he didn't think it was "traditional" and if I wanted a
computer log I could type them in myself. (Not to my face, to the operator
he was relieving.) When I saw his paper log in the morning I saw that he
had worked a station and logged frequency and time then tuned up the band
and worked another station and logged it. Then tuned back down the band and
worked station 1 again. Then up the band and reworked station 2. Rinse and
repeat more than a dozen times. Logged a couple dozen contacts with 2
stations that were dupes the first time he worked them. But he did keep at
it I have to admit. Logged right up through 2800 (local time of course). I
just threw the paper away after everyone had a good laugh.