Re: [CQ-Contest] Looking up on QRZ.com

To: Raymond Benny <rayn6vr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Looking up on QRZ.com
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:47:22 -0500
I think that using QRZ as a source to attempt to correct or confirm information
being received during a contest to be way beyond what you should be doing.  And
while some of that might not be against the rules in a contest (written) I
would suggest that it goes against the sprit of the contest.

And saying it is ok for assisted or multiop categories is incorrect.  Esp the
part about fixing calls or log data after the contact by using outside sources
and I would consider those sources to include you using a callbook or database
to look up this info in your shack (ie. Not limited to online sources).

This sort of practice extends to “log washing” post contest - using data
sources or software to find and correct errors you made in the contest.  This
is just wrong and you should not be doing it.  One of the goals you should have
in a contest is to operate in a way that you make as few errors as possible.
If you are unsure, ask the other person during your on the air contacts and
make your corrections based on that on the air interaction.  Contests are you
test your skill at being a radio operator.  Not your skills in post contest log
fixing or data mining or whatever.

We all make mistakes.  I often make more than many of my peers.  But so be it -
looking at my log checking reports can be painful to my ego.  But, you can use
those reports to see what sort of errors you are making and when you are making
them - and then you can learn from that and work on doing better next time.

I do see that many are saying that they really see no difference between some
source like QRZ and the SCP databases. And I will have to agree.  I have never
liked the SCP database use.  I have felt that it is wrong.
Until a few years ago, I never used it.  I did contests and did well in
contests without using any sort of callsign database.  But I gave in a few
years ago - as it was clear that it was a loosing battle on my part.  And once
I started using it I was more convinced than ever that it provides an
advantage.  One of the many skills you can learn is callsign recognition - and
the callsign databases dilute that skill.

As far as other information from some of these databases - that can be very
problematic and might hurt your score more than it helps it.  Over the years
there have been various groups / clubs that have really pushed for the use of
these databases that contain more than call signs. For example in the ARRL
Sweepstakes contest some folks are using databases that contain callsign and
check and section information that pre-fills the exchange field during the
contact.  We can see folks that use these in the log checking after the contest
by some errors they make that can only be explained by the use of databases.
I can see this from my on my own on the air activity when folks challenge what
I send them as an exchange.  I have even had operators argue with me during the
contact that their “database” has something other than what I am saying so I
must be wrong.   I also see it when I get a QSL card.

Examples:

For years in the SS contests - N5RZ would come do CW from my station - he used
his check.
I would do SSB and use my check.   In both contests folks would put my check in
for his contacts and his check for mine.  My check is 76 and I think RZ is 67
or 69.  It was very obvious from our log checking reports whom was using
databases and not doing a good job of copying what they hear on the air.

My ‘callbook’ (mailing address) is in Austin, TX / Travis County / EM10 etc.
My operating location is Johnson City, TX / Blanoc County / EM00.

VHF contest LCRs have lots of folks putting EM10 for my grid - and losing those
contacts / mults
I get cards from folks thanking me for a new grid / county etc. - that is not
were I was operating from.

I usually have several folks argue with me about my check in SS.

In the NAQP I usually use ED as my name.  (Long story) In the last NAQP I did I
had a guy keep saying that QRZ says my name is George.  I kept telling him my
name is ED - this went on for several minutes.
Whatever.

My advice is do the contest on the air.

Do not use databases or callbacks or the extension of that - post contest log
correcting.

You will be a better op, you will learn to listen to the radio and not to data
on your screen.