Re: [CQ-Contest] Starting Over...

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Starting Over...
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:27:10 -0400
This may be a great time to upgrade your transceiver but also you should
review your lightning protection system. A nearby lightning strike induces a
lot of voltage into your home's wiring so just disconnecting the coax does
not really protect much. Probably most of us could do more to protect our
equipment but definitely some things are very important. Polyphaser's
brochure used to have a recommended ground rod pattern around the tower to
dissipate a much of the energy. The bonding that K9YC mentioned plus a
single point ground is essential. I also use a whole house surge protector.
If you use Heliax, Commscope ground kits are a great way to protect your
coax.

GL,
John KK9A/4

Courtney Judd k4wi wrote:

Well, I am looking for some opinions here.... took a nearby lightening
strike the other day and the only turned on/hooked up was my internet
router which is hooked to an external antenna. It was hooked to my
computer via Ethernet and that hooked to my FT5000/microham Keyer 3 via
USB ( they were all off and antennas unhooked). The router was toast as
well as the computer... got them replaced and all back working but now
looks like still have problems with the rig having no CAT signals and
the Keyer3 no USB to the computer. I can still operate but only in a
bare bones fashion. I woke up during the night and decided it was time
to just start over. I am thinking about the FT-101MP and would like any
opinions on how it compares to the 5000 and how easy does it interface
with a computer.... any external device needed? I do CW/SSB/RTTY and FT8
with DX4WIN general logging and Writelog for contesting! So thinking of
doing away with the FT5000, DMU2000 , MicroHam keyer 3, and all 3 u-tune
filters and replace all this with the Ft101.... good idea or bad? Also I
am going to go all WiFi in the house with no actual wired connection to
any device.... a mesh cell setup and let everything connect
wirelessly.... that should help keep the big juice out of my
electronics... maybe! So am I thinking in a good direction or should I
repair everything and keep trotting along with this current setup... the
5000 is an 2011 model and I do love it but maybe time for new! Thanks
and 73's Cort K4WI