[CQ-Contest] WRTC Spotting

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Spotting
From: Drew Vonada-Smith <drew@whisperingwoods.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 16:18:50 +0000
Rich and Group,

I think Ed's point is pretty straightforward.  He acknowledges that the two
groups aren't competing against each other, that is not his point.  His point
is that such spotting will have an effect on SSB traffic for those that cannot
do it in the primary contest, and that it seems improper that an overlay should
affect the primary contest IN ANY WAY.  I had not considered this previously,
but it is valid.

I personally think the effect of spotting on others will be rather small.  But
I cannot deny that there will be such an effect, and in principle, I would have
to agree that it's a bad precedent.  It is easy to imagine others types of
future changes in an overlay that would have larger impacts.

That said, I think it is probably too late to change that spotting rule at this
point, even if the parties did agree - and I suspect they do not.  And that
fact is a very good argument for WRTC having better communications with the
contester committee as a whole in future, and not just the subscribed group.
WRTC has various impacts on IARU HF that are worthy of consideration.

There are lots of potential lessons learned here.

PS - Please do not ask people "not to whine".  One's view of "whining" is
another's view of stating their opinion in an open forum.  I frequently hear
the same critisicm, but sorry, I have the same right to express as anyone else
does.  You do not have to agree.  I do not have to passively accept.

73,
Drew K3PA