Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW DX Contests

To: john <reillyjf@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW DX Contests
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 19:18:18 +0000
On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 10:04:41AM -0600, john wrote:
> When you receive an obviously incorrect Zone (like the guy is from
> CA and sends something other than 3), do you log what he sends, or
> the correct Zone? You could be screwed either way, but logging the
> correct Zone seems the lesser of the evils.

You should log the zone that he is located in.

Folks that say you should log what is sent are giving you bad advice.

It is good advice not to use prefill databases or QRZ for this information.
Never do that.

But if N5KO calls me and send 59 6 I am going to ask him where he is
located.  Because if he is really in zone 6 - I clearly missed his
callsign and he would be using somethig like XE1/N5KO or similar and I
want to get that part correct. If I assume that the logging progmram
will fill it in from his callsign of N5KO then it would likley put
zone 4 in my log, and that might be correct but it might not.  But if
I ask him where he is he will tell me he is in California and I would
now know to log him in zone 3.  Putting the zone 6 he is sending in my log
is not useful or correct if he is located in California.

While in general I would log what folks send me I would never log
things that I know are wrong.  That is not what we are trying to do
here - we are trying to log information that is correct.

Think about it for a minute.

If the contest exchange were signal reports and states would you sill
log a 6 if that is what someone sends you instead of trying to get
their state in the log?

Many more examples could follow.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR