CT-User

TypeAhead Survey Results

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: TypeAhead Survey Results
From: Dave Hawes <34703@vlf03v31.ueci.com> (Dave Hawes)
Date: 23 Feb 94 15:56:03 EDT
I received responses from WM2C, N6TV, N6AZE, K1XM, K1GQ, AD1C, N4TQO,
K0GU, KZ2S, and DL6RAI regarding my query about use of TypeAhead &
NoWorkDupe. Thanks, guys, for taking the time and effort to respond.

I'm not sure where the name "TypeAhead" came from for this feature, but
Jim, AD1C, points out that it really should be called "TypeBehind."  I
think it's a matter of your point of reference.

As you will see from the survey results, virtually
all respondents use this feature.  I had the results in prior to ARRL CW,
so decided to try it out on 15 during the European opening Saturday.  Since
I type well, it took some discipline to force myself to stop entering the
callsign and hit the Insert key, then continue to enter the call.  I goofed
a couple of times, hitting Insert even before the caller had stopped, but
in a while I got the hang of it, and found that it indeed is easy to use,
and totally eliminates any pause after the caller stops.

Survey results follow:

1.  Do you regularly use this feature?

WM2C:  Yes.  And I look foward to an auto send feature like N6TR's, such
 that after 3 or 4 characters are typed in (programable), it will
 automatically start sending the call and exchange.  This will eliminate
 the need to hit Insert.
N6TV:    ALLWAYS
N6AZE:  I do not use type ahead, largely because I like to make sure I have
 call entered properly before the computer starts sending. Also, I train
 with CT MODOKI and it locks the keyboard while I and the other station are
 transmitting so I don't get to practice correcting calls while the
 computer is sending. I know there is hesitation, but my rate and speed
 are so slow that it doesn't make
 much of a difference. The CT feature I rely on is the "correct call" or
 whatever Ken calls it,
 which allows you to correct erroneous callsign after the exchange. It ends
 the QSO with "CORRECTEDCALL TU de MYCALL," so you can get on to the next
 QSO, while confirming that you got the corrected copy.
K1XM:   I use typeahead.
K1GQ:   Y E S !
AD1C:   Yes, all the time.
N4TQO:  Yes, all the time.
K0GU:   Yes
DL6RAI: No, just sometimes, when things are going slow.

2.  Do you send the call with the paddle to eliminate any vestige of a
    pause between the caller's stopping and your starting to send?

WM2C:  Never.  I only use a paddle when I get in trouble and mess up
 something in the computer and cant fix it in time.
N6TV:  Only when I horribly mess up on my typing.  I normally eliminate
 any vestige of a pause by using the typeahead feature.
K1GQ:  Never.  Wellll, if I completely botch the typed-in call...
AD1C:  No, I'd rather send the call with the computer, this eliminates one
 important source of error and wasted time: I enter the call in the
computer
 correctly, but send it wrong with the keyer (or vice versa).  Either way,
 one station is left wondering if the calls were copied correctly, or
 needlessly has to send a corrected callsign.
N4TQO:  No, never.  With type-ahead, there's no need.
K0GU:  No
DL6RAI:  Yes, that's what I've done most of the time in the past and I feel
 much better than when I have to use the keyboard. What I usually do is
 send the call from the paddle (with my right hand) while finishing the
 callsign entry with my left and then press F2 to send the report from
 the computer. I feel more comfortable (though it just may be matter
 of discipline...)
KZ2S:  I usually send most exchanges with the paddles.  The only
 thing I let the computer do (usually) is call CQ.  I just feel
 more in control by sending things manually.  I don't touch type,
 but can hunt and peck quite rapidly, so I don't think that is why
 I choose to not let the computer do everything.  I just like
 having exact control over what I am sending.

 The most extreme example of this is in the Sprint (not
 supported by CT).  I can't do this contest with a computer, still
 use pencil and paper, and send everything with paddles (no memory
 keyer at all, just plug paddles into back of 765 and go).

3.  Do you feel that the brief pause while completing the callsign is a
    disruption to the "flow" of the pileup?

WM2C:  Yes.  Besides, Time is QSO's.  If you have the pileup flowing they
way
 you want it, for ex:  They only are sending thier call once, then I want a
 very rapid return. It also helps if you are loud for this to work
effectively.
N6TV:    Worse.  If you are too slow the guy will call you AGAIN.  And just
 one second wasted in 1200 QSOs is 20 minutes of dead time!
K1GQ:   Yes, so I use type-ahead to eliminate it.
AD1C:  "Type-behind" is mainly for people who can "backcopy" in their head
but
 can't get the callsign into the computer fast enough.  I'd rather have two
 ways to get the call sent correctly, at the earliest possible time, than
 one.
N4TQO:  Yes, absolutely.  Without type-ahead there would be a pause and
 it would be very disruptive.
K0GU:  Using TypeAhead I usually don't have the pause.
DL6RAI:  Yes, indeed. It makes me crazy.

4.  Is your ability (or lack thereof) to touch type a consideration in
    your chosing to use TypeAhead?

WMC2:  No.
N6TV:    I touch type very well.  No matter how good a typist you are,
 there is going to be a pregnant pause if you insist on typing
 in the whole call, especiall for calls ending in "T" or "E'.  Fingers
 are just not fast enough.  That's why I love the TypeAhead feature.
 It helps the rate tremendously, especially over 120 QSOs/hour.
K1GQ:   No.
AD1C:  I type pretty well.  I'd like "Type-behind" even more if I was a
lousy
 typist.
N2IC:  I am like you.  I can type well enough that there is no perceptible
lag
 after the calling stations sends his call, and CT sends his call.
 I would be very upset if Ken
 changed CT to not let you hit the "Insert" key while the cursor was in
 the callsign field.
N4TQO:  Not in the least.  Type-ahead permits to work the guy on the
 first call without slowing or stopping to ask for a fill.  Typing skill
 really has nothing to do with it.
K0GU:  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DL6RAI:  Yes.

A question related to the NoWorkDupe feature, do you use this feature:

WM2C:  NOOOO.  It totally smashes the rythem of the pileup.  Besides,
 I've gotten into too many wars with people who claim they havent worked me
 B4.  Remember:  Time is QSO's.  Much better to keep the rythem of the
pileup
 and accept the fact that a few will be dupes.  I think people go away when
 they hear anything but quick exchanges.
N6TV:  I always use this feature.  I program my QSO B4 message to something
 like SRI B4 N6TV TEST and go on with the pileup.  It is NOT faster
 to dupe the guy if he's really slow and weak and there are other
 guys in the pileup waiting to call.  It may turn into a disaster,
 and you may loose the frequency if the guy takes 15 seconds before
 he can send his (duplicate) exchange to you again.  Never work a dupe
 if you can avoid it.  Extremely important in SS where the exchange is
 so long, but also important in other contests.  I don't want
 duplicate JA QSLs either!

 Personally, I find that it's usually easier to just log the
 guy, since many guys don't expect the QSO B4 message, and give you a
 report anyway.
K1XM:  I don't use noworkdupe.  In CT the dupe will be scored
 as such and not cost me anything, so there's no loss except maybe for the
 "purity and cleanliness" of the log.  And some of those stations will QSL
 the dupe QSO, and I'll need the entry in the log to be able to confirm.
K1GQ:  Right!  I just work 'em and leave NoWorkDupe off.  John [K1AR] hates
 dupes in the log, so I generally do this:

   if (mycall == K1AR)
      // don't log the QSO
   else
      // do log it

AD1C:  The "QSO B4" bug is just a matter of when Ken checks the dupe
status -
 obviously he's checking it as soon as you hit the insert key, instead of
 checking it after the computer finishes sending the callsign.  This was
one
 of the original bugs with CORRECT mode.  CORRECT mode (type CORRECT in the
 callsign field to enable it) sends a corrected callsign before F3 message
if
 the callsign you typed in when you hit INSERT is different than the final
 callsign before you hit the "+" key to log the QSO.  Ken took the snapshot
 when the INSERT key was hit, so typing something like:

    AA6T <INSERT> T

 would send a corrected callsign, even though there was no need to correct
it
 because CT sent AA6TT the first time.  The bug fix was to take a snapshot
of
 the callsign just after CT finishes sending it (ie.  just before sending
F2
 message), then compare *that* callsign with the callsign just before you
hit
 "+" to log the QSO.   We just have to nag Ken take the dupe-check snapshot
 at the same time he takes the "CORRECT" snapshot.
N2IC:  I do not use the NoWorkDupe feature.  It's easier to just work the
guy,
 or try manually telling him QSO B4.
WM2C:  Time is QSO's.  Just work the guy, it's quicker.
N6TV:  It may be easier, but it hurts your rate.  Most of the time
 the duper will not send the report, and often you'll get another
 caller immediately and that really helps your rate.
N4TQO:  Don't use NoWorkDupe, just keep trucking.
W2UP:  I have TRIED to use the NoWorkDupe feature, but as someone
 else stated, it's broken. If you set No work dupe, it is no different
 than WorkDupe.
 I'm a reasonable typist but not great, so what sometimes happens is I'll
 hit INS before getting the last letter of the call in, then see it's a
 dupe. If I'm still early in the exchange (meaning sending his call) I'll
 interrupt the exchange and send QSO B4 with the paddle then ALT-W the
 QSO. If I do manage to get the whole call in and see it's a dupe, I'll
 still use the paddle to send QSO B4 (cuz NoWork Dupe No Work!)
 Don't like having dupes in the log, but won't delete them once there...
K0GU:  I usually work them if its not a serial number contest. Sometimes
sending
 a serial number to a dupe then sending the same number to the next guy
 causes a discussion that slows things down even more than QSO B4. And
 of course in Sprint working the dupe costs me my CQ frequency.
DL6RAI:  I am usually trying to tell the guy that it's a dupe and if he
still
 comes back, I make the contact. It could also be my fault and when you've
 ever operated split on 40 Phone from Europe where everybody is listening
 up and many times on the same spot inbetween the Megawatt Broadcasters,
 you know what happens all the time.
 I do not remove any QSOs after the contest but leave it as it is.

Dave Hawes                           Internet: 34703@vlf03v31.ueci.com
Raytheon Engineers, Valley Forge, PA    Voice: 610-254-5167
                                          Fax: 610-254-5134