CT-User

Timestamps in CT .BIN files

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Timestamps in CT .BIN files
From: n6tv@vnet.IBM.COM (Robert A. Wilson)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 11:16:20 PST
I'm trying to write some routines to analyze CT Version 7 and Version 8
.bin files.

What is the secret to interpreting QSO timestamps correctly?  I know
they are stored as C time_t values (number of seconds since 1/1/1970).
When I convert them back to date/time values, I end up being 7 or 8
hours off (it varies with the contest).  Does the CQ zone one enters on
the first screen have anything to do with the stored timestamp?  I
almost always have my computer clock set to UTC.  Depending on the C
compiler and environment variables like "TZ", C functions like gmtime
and localtime can do funny things to a time_t value.  Some assume the
system clock is always set to Eastern Time unless you say otherwise by
adjusting the TZ (timezone) environment variable.

Does CT8 use gmtime and localtime internally?  Does it care about the
CQ zone or the time zone or the environment variables?  Did CT7 use
gmtime and localtime?

What's the best way to interpret timestamps correctly, for both CT 8
and CT 7 bin files?

Bob, N6TV