CT-User

Timestamps in CT .BIN files

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Timestamps in CT .BIN files
From: Ken Wolff" <jjmhome!uunet.uu.net!lectroid!jjmhome!k1ea!k1ea@uunet.uu.net (Ken Wolff)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 21:10:10 EST
On Thu, 24 Feb 94 15:35:58 PST, "Robert A. Wilson" <n6tv@vnet.IBM.COM> wrote:
> So CT only uses time() and localtime().  Interesting.  One would
> think such values would be GMT if your PC clock was set to GMT.
> But this may not be the case if no environment variables were
> set to tell the run-time TZ=GMT.  Time() might return 7 hours
> offset during daylight savings time and 8 hours during standard
> time, because it assumes Pacific Time.
>
> I tried to measure the output using old .BIN files.  My '92 SS CW log
> is 7 hours off, and my '92 SS Phone log is 8 hours off.  I can't
> explain this.  The CW log was written in Nevada, and the Phone log in
> Calif.  I believe I used CT Version 7 back in 92, then converted the
> log to CT8 format with 7to8.  The Daylight Savings Time change
> at the end of October may have something to do with this 1 hour
> difference, but both logs were made during Standard Time, so it's
> puzzling.
>
> What does the 7TO8.EXE program do when it converts CT Version 7
> .bin files to CT8 format?  Does it do anything to the timestamps?
> Was 7to8 written with Borland or Zortech?
>
> What about b2r and b2r8?  Do they just use localtime(timestamp)?
>
> 73,
> Bob, N6TV

B2R is Borland, B2R8 Zortech, 7to8 Zortech (with tinme correction). Alot
of other progammers trying to import CT BIN files have been PO'ed at me
for the inconsistant timestamps. I'm PO'ed at Zortech too, but I had
no idea it was off until after the CQWW in '91, then it was too late.

--
Ken Wolff K1EA