CT-User

CT9.10a, TS950SDX, and POLL

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: CT9.10a, TS950SDX, and POLL
From: Dave Hawes <34703@vlf03v31.ueci.com> (Dave Hawes)
Date: 24 Oct 94 08:09:31 EDT
With a 950, when CT does its POLL of the radio, the keyboard seems to be
frozen, although buffered.  With the default POLL setting of 1 second,
this results in an irritating delay between keystroke and character
appearance on the logging line, especially if you are a touch typist.

If I understand properly, POLL is intended to limit network traffic.
However, some experimentation yesterday seemed to reveal that higher
settings of POLL don't affect how often the 950 sends its frequency out on
the network.  CT puts the 950 into "AI mode," meaning that if you spin the
dial on the radio, after the radio settles on a new frequency for some
time (about 1/2 to 1 second), it will send its new frequency to CT, which
updates the band map, Alt-J display, and the network computers.  Setting
POLL to 15 does not seem to alter this network update process.  So, at
least to start off the contest, we will use a POLL setting of 15 to avoid
the nuisance keyboard pauses.  Incidentally, when using a 950 the mouse
cursor blinks in unison with the POLL activity.  Does this happen with
other radios?

The above described "AI delay" renders CT's band map useless as a
replacement for the radio's frequency readout.  (At least on an ICOM 765,
the band map scrolls smoothly through the band as you tune the dial.)  If
anybody has any influence with Kenwood, it would be useful to get this "AI
delay time" reduced to something in the order of 0.1 seconds.
Alternatively, if anybody has a work around for this problem, I'd be very
interested in hearing about it.

Good luck in the contest, guys!

73 - Dave N3RD

| Dave Hawes                        Internet: 34703@vlf03v31.ueci.com |
| Raytheon Engineers & Constructors    Voice: 215-422-3754            |
| Philadelphia, PA                       Fax: 215-422-4005            |