CT-User

[ct-user] NETTSR !!

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] NETTSR !!
From: Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:55:04 -0000
I just wanted to publicly thank Dave, K1TTT for all of his work on the
NETTSR program that allows use of Ethernet instead of serial port
connections for networking CT.

We wired up the V26B shack with an 8 port hub and CAT 5 cable and it
worked great.  The station is permanently outfitted this way now and
will be used in place of the venerable serial port box that we've been
using for years.  All future visitors to the station can use the
network as well as the 3 permanently installed computers that run CT.

A couple words of advice for those of you who plan on going to
Ethernet:

1) Make sure your Ethernet card supports "Packet Drivers"

2) If you're using your work laptop computer, make sure that the
   PCMCIA slots will function in DOS and you have the proper "Enabler"
   program.

3) Forget 3-Com cards (no packet driver support)

4) Test it at home to be sure that it works

5) Read the tips on stopping Windows from loading from the YCCC
   website

6) Get familiar with the "BOOTGUI" command in your MSDOS.SYS file.

7) Be careful that you don't break the PCMCIA Ethernet "dongle"
   connector

8) Be prepared to pay a lot of money for a new card in a foreign
   country if you do break one - like >$100 @ ATC Computers in St.
   John's, Antigua.  The same card back in the States costs about $40.

Thanks again Dave !

Bob N5NJ
15M op and network engineer at V26B

Robert E. Naumann