CT-User

Re: [ct-user] Is CT development dead?

To: CT User <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] Is CT development dead?
From: Ken Wolff <ken@k1ea.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:04:03 -0400
I discussed this with N6TV at Dayton, and yes CT development for DOS is
dead. I thought I had an old hard drive with DOS, the complier and
libraries in the closet. None of them would boot DOS. I can still
compile CTWin, although it won't run on my development machine, Windows 7.

K1AR and I still use CTWin for our multi-two efforts on a couple of old
XP machines. It is possible, but not probable I could make a new version
of CTWin if K1AR and I need something fixed. I keep the CT website alive
as a convenience to existing users, or someone with old DOS hardware who
wants to try CT. CT is free precisely because I want to avoid any
obligation to fix bugs or add features.

I have used Win-Test at K3LR and KL7RA. I recommend it to anyone who
likes the CT command set and behavior..Win-Test accurately emulates all
the CT features and adds its own feature set.

I am not going to release the source code to the public domain because
it is dense, obtuse code.. It requires an obsolete version of the Watcom
compiler, the 4GW 32 bit dos extender and the commercial PC/TCP package.
CT was the first C program I ever wrote in 1986. A few years later I
converted it to C++ without a good understanding of object oriented
concepts. This is "spaghetti code" and would be re-factored by anyone
good enough to work on it. At least two programmers I know and respect
took this code and tried to move forward. They both gave up.

73, Ken K1EA