RE: [Karlnet] Drop in Throughput?

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Drop in Throughput?
From: "Support" <support@karlnet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:40:13 -0400
Jim,

Did you see the attached document?  Also Karlnet uses the standard routing
that is used by Cisco and others, so if you get info for IP router from the
web or in a book it will relate to how Karlnet does routing.

A lot of routing is asking questions about your direct and indirect routes.
If you diagram your network and ask yourself 'what would happen if this PC
tries to send data to IP address x.x.x.x' then follow the rules you set up
to see if the packet goes out and can come back in!  Doing pings can also
point where the roadblock is when you route.  Get familiar with trace routes
commands "tracert" to follow packets.

Another important aspect of routing is subnet masks.  You use masks to tell
the router where certain IP address are located.   Remember that the IP
address before and after are not assigned to devices on the network.  So if
you use a 198.1.1.15 mask of 255.255.255.252 for 2 hosts or /30 then 14 and
17 will be part of this mask.  The next IP you can use will be 198.1.1.18.
There are subnet calculators you can use or hit the select button on the
configurator.

Routing is not something that come naturally to most.  That is why the
routing experts get paid the big bucks.  Keep asking questions, but there
will be a time when it will be second nature to you.

Doug Harman
KarlNet, Inc.
525 Metro Place North
Suite 100