RE: [Karlnet] Redhat 7.3

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Redhat 7.3
From: Thomas Giger TGC <thomas.giger@tgc.de>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 17:08:28 +0200
Ricardo,

Probably the most recent kernel you get it to work with is 2.4.9 - this is
somewhat better than RedHad 7.1 but RedHat 7.3 is way "too new". It also
depends on the gcc version, BTW. More recent gcc versions produce different
alignment and/or structure sizes which makes the driver crash at runtime.

This is because you get a binary library which you should be able to
recompile as well; but you can't.

On the other hand, the other binary library that ships as part of
wavelan2_cs (the HCF layer) works with all kernels from 2.2.x to 2.4.x.
Thus, Karlnet must have done something that could have been avoided in their
binary library wrapper which implements the TC part.

And: Karlnet seems unwilling to produce a new version that fits recent
kernels (although that would probably be as easy as recompiling their
sources for the binary lib on a newer RedHat).

regards,
--
true global communications GmbH
Thomas Giger