NA-User

[na-user] Tips on Merging, Converting and Repairing NA files

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Tips on Merging, Converting and Repairing NA files
From: KEN SILVERMAN" <k2kw@prodigy.net (KEN SILVERMAN)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:33:57 -0700
Been working on the 6Y1A and K2KW/6Y5 log files, and have learned a few
things that I though others would like to know about the NAU utility:

- All logs that are planned to be merged must have the same bands set up.
For example, I had my
original files set up for 80-6m (using NA Logger w/ Countries), but
additional files were created that had the default bands set to 160-10m.
Logs with different bands won't merge.  (this also appears true for
combining any contest logs, not just NA Logger w/countries)

- All logs that are planned to be merged must have the same contest
selected.  NA Logger w/ Countries
counts as a contest, and cannot be merged with any other contest.  This is
true even when the bands are the same as in the above example.

-  Changing contests on the fly may not work in all cases.  Changing the
contest from a NA Logger w/ Countries to NA Logger w/ Grids crashed on me.
This may be akin to N7TR's problem and actually be a memory management issue
since the log in question had 3000 QSOs.  I have not checked this with other
contests.

- When merging files, the new combined (merged) file needs to be given a new
name.  The new .QDF file should not use the name of an existing .QDF file.

-  Converting a .QDF file to .RES results in a .RES file that is NOT CT9
compatible.  I think it's CT7, but not sure.  (can this be updated to
produce a CT9 file?)

-  There is no utility to convert a .RES file to .QDF - can this be added to
NAU?

- When using NAU to delete QSOs from a .QDF file, do NOT remove QSOs if the
file is a serial number based contest!  Removing QSOs will change the serial
numbers in the log, such that sent and logged serial numbers are no longer
the same.  There is no warning about this section of the manual (Appendix B,
page 7)

-  If your log happens to get corrupted, try writing a .SDF file using the
NAU utility and editing it in Word Pad or something.  Remove the
bad/corrupted QSO lines, and then convert back to a .QDF using the NAU
utility.

Anybody else have other tips to add?

Kenny K2KW

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/