Re: [TenTec] Re: ARRL - Orion review

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: ARRL - Orion review
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:21:16 -0600
> Oh wow!  What a write up.  Have read through one time,
> now must do it again,  hi.  They tried it,  and they liked it.

They did miss some fine points, though.  I do agree with the point
that the Orion is not a good choice as a beginners radio.

It appeared the reviewer(s) really didn't mess with AGC controls
much.  Perhaps the discussion would have just taken up too much
space :-)   Among other things they would have found that the
"hang" setting does indeed give you a peak-and-hold function on the
S-meter.  The comment in "this and that" at the end of the review
missed that altogether -- which is why I think they didn't spend any
serious time with AGC.

I do hope they publish an extended test report at some point.  And,
of course, it's too bad the close in dynamic range tests stop at a
mere 5Khz  :-)

Grant/NQ5T