[Orion] Heat and stacking distance?

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Heat and stacking distance?
From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:44:58 -0500
[Also posted on Yahoo Orion565 group]

I have read the Orion manual and was unable to find
any indication about the amount of clear air space
necessary around the Orion. [I just ordered one but
forgot to ask Scott]. My operating desk will probably
need some modification:

http://www.contesting.com/data/spotlight/images/b3932acf1ddbfbbf6780c8b4caa048ec.jpg

The Omni VI+s sit on shelves with the feet at the
front and back of the shelves so that the heat sink
hangs over the back with lots of air circulation
and the front panel likewise is past the edge of
the shelf. The Omni VIs, like earlier TenTec
classics such as the Corsair, have no ventilation
holes in the cabinet. However, I see in the fotos
of the Orion that there are ventilation slots in
the body of the rig. In my setup, where the
heat sink and the front panel (I've read the postings
about heat on the front panel) are well clear
of obstructions, is there any need to worry about
clearance on the cabinet slots? Does anyone have
any experience with this?

Thanks

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9