[Orion] Re: Orion Digest, Vol 5, Issue 4

To: orion@contesting.com, service@tentec.com
Subject: [Orion] Re: Orion Digest, Vol 5, Issue 4
From: "Charles W. Shaw" <chas.shaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:09:39 +0000
Bob, W9GE wrote:
    I too had a "keying failure" on my Orion.  When sending a string of =
dahs the output falls off and comes back up again.  It was somewhat =
visible on the ALC indidcator, but was very obvious when viewed on an =
analog watt meter.  My Orion worked fine from early November 2003 right =
up until sometime last week, when the problem really manifested itself. =
After completely eliminating any external problems, I packed the Orion =
up and it should arrive at Ten Tec today for them to take a look.

I had an almost identical occurrence with my Orion. I discovered it when trying to use certain of my beverage antennas on 80 or 40M at the same time as the Titan 425 at a KW. (Visible on the Peak Power lights.) My solution was simple--since the RX antennas weren't really effective on those bands anyway--I just press the lower-left RX ANT button, and the problem goes away. Press it again and it is bad again.

I haven't bothered to see what my signal sounded like when this happened, but wonder if this is the effect that W0YG reported when he was told that his signal was "raspy". I doubt it.

Charles - N5UL
Hobbs, NM