[Orion] Re: Orion keying

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Re: Orion keying
From: "bob" <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:58:45 -0500
    I too had a "keying failure" on my Orion.  When sending a string of dahs
the output falls off and comes back up again.  It was somewhat visible on the
ALC indidcator, but was very obvious when viewed on an analog watt meter.  My
Orion worked fine from early November 2003 right up until sometime last week,
when the problem really manifested itself. After completely eliminating any
external problems, I packed the Orion up and it should arrive at Ten Tec today
for them to take a look.

    In attempting to trouble shoot this problem Ten Tec and I discovered a
firmware bug.  I use two amplifiers, both of them are Ten Tec 425's with full
QSK.  We discovered that both amplifiers must be set in Orion menus to keying
loop on or keying loop off.  If you want to use one each way, then keying loop
1 must be off and keying loop 2 must be on.  The other way around does not
work.  This is with release 1.367.  73 bob de w9ge