RE: [Orion] USING ORION'S RECEIVER

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [Orion] USING ORION'S RECEIVER
From: "BarryG" <n1eu@myway.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:02:19 -0500 (EST)
 Thanks for preparing the document and sharing this info Sinisa.  The 15dB
fall-off for AGC Threshold setting is more than I was using and I look forward
to experimenting with your guidelines.  I think the info should certainly help
new Orion users get their receivers sounding much better.  I found soundcard
spectral analysis much better than using the S meter for judging the 15dB
decrease you recommend.  The suggestion to use the soundcard to center the
narrow cw filters is also an excellent one. FWIW, the sensitivity adjustment
you suggest for my Orion works out to simply rx preamp off for me, which is how
I had been using it. It was refreshing to see you also feel that narrow cw
filters are not necessarily the solution to pulling out weak cw signals on
uncrowded bands, despite what K6SE and others insist. 73,Barry N1EU--- On Fri
02/27, Sinisa Hristov &lt; shristov@ptt.yu &gt; wrote:From: Sinisa Hristov
[mailto: shristov@ptt.yu]To: Cc: orion@contesting.comDate: Fri, 27 Feb
 2004 22:59:54 -0500Subject: [Orion] USING ORION'S RECEIVERA six-page PDF file
(40 KB) titled "USING ORION'S RECEIVER"is available for download from my web
site:http://www.geocities.com/va3ttnTopics covered include:* initial
adjustments,* setting the optimum RX sensitivity for the given environment,*
setting AGC to avoid it causing distortion to weak signals,* adjusting roofing
and DSP filters according to band conditions.Both the short theory and
practical procedures are presented.73,Sinisa YT1NT,