Re: [Orion] taming the swr meter

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] taming the swr meter
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:30:03 -0500
Gosh,

You guys are touchy. Of course the antenna tuner with its own built in
swr meter is connected to the antenna. This Nye Viking swr meter is
maintained at unity--I only mentioned it because I said the Orion's swr
meter is now a stable 1 to 1 at all times--both with and without the
Titan energized. Some might have thought the Orion's meter was 'stuck'
there? It's a correct reading. Now I don't have to ignore the Orion's
meter. Perhaps others might appreciate this un-important info.    :-)

73,   Roy   K6XK

You said "unity swr with tuner".  This is unitly swr to the amplifier
output.  The Orion is looking into the tuned input network of the
amplifier.  It has a very low Q, but you are fooling yourself if you are
reading swr off the Orion with the amp in line.  I assume you are aware
of this, but in reading your note, it is not apparent that you do.  What
you said is only appllicable if the tuner is between the Orion and the
amp.

Glad you solved the swr jump on your Orion.....mine does that sometimes
also....but I have learned to ignore it.  It is meaningless driving an
amplifier anyway.  73 bob de w9ge