[Orion] Orion V2. firmware A-OK!

To: orion@contesting.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Orion V2. firmware A-OK!
From: Randy K4QO <k4qo@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:49:08 -0500
I've been reading the reports of various issues from V2.0 and I thought
I would weigh in...

V2.0 is a vast improvement over v1.x in my opinion.  Its not perfect,
but my AN, NB, NR and Notch work perfectly.

The crisper display is wonderful, even if not in color.  I do wish they
would get rid of the lower case labels (and use upper case) on the
screen, though.

I DO see the Speech Processor "bloom" during the periods of no audio
from my mouth.  However, it appears that the SP adjustment is an
"attack" speed now instead of an amount of SP it is giving.  Thats
probably not accurate technically but that is how it appears to me.  So,
setting the SP to 1 has a slower attack than SP setting 9.  At 9, it
"blooms" right away.

When I send a CW memory I do not see it falter when I change a control
at the same time.

For me, V2 is a big improvement.  I don't know what the differences are
in my radio from the others, but I must confess that I did not wipe out
any memories at the master reset.  I did have jibberish on the screen at
the mic and s-tone locations initially, but selecting them and
re-adjusting them cleared that up.

I spent a few hours working the International DX contest with no
problems.  I have tried to duplicate alot of the problems I have read
about and have not been able to.   Output levels are fine and close to
what I had before.

All in all, a step in the right direction.  I wonder why there is so
much of a difference in experiences with the other radios?
73,
Randy
K4QO