[Orion] Heil HC-4 vs HC-5?

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Heil HC-4 vs HC-5?
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:48:53 -0500 (EST)
I recently swapped the Heil HC-4 ("DX") element in my Proset with the HC-5
"normal". Netiehr is new. I suspect hey're both ~10-13 years old.

The specs Heil posts on their website say the mikes are fundamentally the same
(same frequency range, with the HC-5 having a mid-range 'bump' presumably to
increase fidelity), I did note that the impedance is different. There's a
physical difference, too. The HC-5 has a larger hole, which I assume has an
impact on the frequency response.

I've noticed that the HC-5 needs a significantly higher mike level -- almost at
the top of the range -- to drive the Orion.  If I run it through the computer's
built-in sound card and use the high-boost setting, the radio is seriously
(negatively) overdriven.

Is this to be expected? If not, is there a remedy?

Thanks,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC