[Orion] Q: Multiple Audio Connections to an Orion I

To: orion565@yahoogroups.com, Orion Reflector <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Q: Multiple Audio Connections to an Orion I
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 21:04:32 -0400
My audio requirement are getting somewhat complicated, so I'm asking for
help from these austere groups.

Microphones into the Orion:
 There are two mike choices:  A Studio One and a Heil Headset (HC5
element).   The Heil goes directly into the sound card Mike input, out
of the sound card into the Orion's rear Mike input. The Studio One
doesn't need to go into the sound card, instead directly into the Orion
Mike input, presumably in rear.  My thought was to plug both into a
simple A/B switch that would feed the sound card, but am concerned that
the mike's electrical differences are significant enough that this might
be a problem... one mike would work well, the other not. True?  I do
have one of those Behringer mixers at my disposal, should I need it.

Multiple Headphones out of the Orion:
I've used a Y-cable, but now have a need to have more headsets (my kids)
on-line while turning off the speaker. Instead of plugging in the single
headset when I'm alone and the multiple headsets when the group is
listening, I'd like to have one device control all the functions (feed
multiple headphones and control the on/off function of the speaker that
is normally done when one plugs the headphones into the front panel
jack.  I have a headphone amplifier box that I could plug into <where?>,
but don't know how I'd control on/off speaker.

Any thoughts?

If this is confusing or otherwise unworkable, please tell me!

Thanks,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC