RFI

[RFI] Mystery buzz 1.7 to 2.0 MHz

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Mystery buzz 1.7 to 2.0 MHz
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 09:55:40 -0500
At 08:37 PM 12/1/1999 -0700, George K. Watson wrote:

>Any experiences with this type of noise?  Your thoughts, ideas, etc. please.
>
>The new 12 volt 'artsy' lighting systems can do exactly this. These
systems utilize
>high current switchers to convert line to 12V (very high current). The
lighting is strung
>using open copper wire (great antennas) throughout the room or house. It
is the current
>cutting edge in home lighting and very noisy at RF as the switchers
sacrifice a lot for
>switching efficiency and high current capability. We have one in my 'hood
which has
>taken N0CD off of 160m and which I can hear even though I am several miles
away
>from the source. The household involved has been somewhat cooperative, and
the
>manufacturer has shipped new supplies, but it is not any better. One of
the big
>problems with these systems is that they generate such high DC currents
that gettting
>any significant inductance on the wires is going to take a very large
amount of ferrite material.

Suggest you or he contact Ed Hare (W1RFI@ARRL.ORG) and look at the
information on FCC Part 15 Rules to be found on the ARRL's Web site in the
TIS section.  Ed may already be working on this problem with the
manufacturers, and in any case can give you good advice.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html